Lawrence County Sheriff's Office Lawrence County Sheriff's Office Lawrence County Sheriff's Office
Home History of the Sheriff's Office Press Releases Sex Offenders Most Wanted Contact Us
Sign Up For Alerts
Bailiff Division
Detective Division
Emergency Management
Frequently Asked Questions
Jail Division
Inmate Roster
Patrol Division
Reserve Division
Victim's Advocate
Crime Tip HOTline 888-635-TIPS (8477) or submit via email

(417) 466-2131
(24 hours)

Crimestopper Hotline:
(888) 635-TIPS (8477)


240 North Main, Suite 10
Mt. Vernon, MO 65712

Administrative Office Hours:  M-F 8am - 4pm
Frequently Asked Questions - Expand All Hide All

Can the Sheriff's Office fingerprint me for my job?

Yes.  The Sheriff's Office does fingerprint for certain job, license, or other necessary reasons.  If you need to be fingerprinted, you need to go to the Lawrence County Jail located at 300 East Water Street in Mt. Vernon.




What to bring:

  • training certificate from Approved Instructor
  • A valid photo ID, with current address information
  • fee of $100.00, cash, correct amount only, or check

Where to go:

The Sheriff’s Office is located on the lower level of the Justice Center, 240 N. Main St, Suite 10, Mt. Vernon, MO.

Is an appointment necessary?

Applicants may come at any time, Wednesday or Friday from 8 am – 4 pm.   The office will be closed from 12 to 1 pm.


What happens next?

Fingerprinting is done at the Lawrence CO Jail, located a block east of the Justice Center on Water Street. 

  • Children are not allowed in the booking area.
  • Applicants will be required to wait in the lobby, if Jail personnel are busy. 
  • Fingerprinting may be done anytime jail personnel are available, so if there is a wait, applicant may return with paperwork at another time.

How long does the process take after applicant is fingerprinted?

Usually, seven to ten business days.  Applicant will receive a call if approved, or written notice if the application has been denied.

What’s next?

Approved applicants will return to the Sheriff’s Office to sign application to be taken to the License Office.

Applicants may go directly from the Sheriff’s Office to the License Office.  However, the applicant may have to wait for paperwork to be processed.



The applicant has seven days to have an ID card made at the License Office.  The cost is $5.50, and the card will be renewed with the CCW.

Until April 2013 – Applicants 65 or older are not required to present a passport or birth certificate.

Beginning April 2013-A passport, or birth certificate, and valid driver’s license is required at the License Office.

Beginning April 2013, the CCW ID card will be mailed to the applicant.

Notices of renewal are sent by mail, every three years.



Applicants are responsible to notify the License Office and the Sheriff’s Office if you move.

If you move from Lawrence CO, you must notify both the Lawrence CO Sheriff’s Office and the Sheriff’s Office in the county you are moving. 




Does the County have any type of Animal Control Officer?

No, Lawrence County does not have any animal control officers.  They have no animal control ordinances.  Any animal complaints must fall under current state statute requirements.

Does the Sheriff's Office solicit money by phone.

No.  The Lawrence County Sheriff's office does not endorse anyone soliciting money for this office by phone.  Any phone calls you receive requesting money for the Sheriff's Office are probably scammers.  The only contact you may receive regarding the Sheriff's Office is from the Missouri Sheriff's Association (MSA).  You might receive a letter in the mail from them requesting support.  You will not receive a phone call from them.  The Missouri Sheriff's Association is the only organization that the Sheriff's Office supports as a solicitor of funds for the Sheriff's Office.

How do I get a copy of a report?

If you make a report with the Sheriff's Office you may be able to obtain a copy of the report with-in two business days.  In order to get the report, you must come to the Sheriff's Office located at 240 North Main, Suite 10 in Mt. Vernon.  Only the person making the report may obtain a copy of the report.  That person must also present a valid picture ID for the report.

How do I know if a sex offender lives in my neighborhood?

You can check information on registered sex offenders by clicking on the "Sex Offender" link on the home page.  This page will display were the offender lives as well as information about the offense.

How do I know who is currently in jail?

You can find out who is currently incarcerated in the Lawrence County Jail by clicking on the "Inmate Roster" on the home page.

How do I report a crime?

If it is an emergency dial 911.  If it is a non emergency the please call 417-466-2131.  The on duty dispatcher will then forward the call to the appropriate agency or officer.

I need to serve a paper on someone, are there fees involved?

Yes.  The Sheriff's Office charges a fee for most all paper services.  Attached a fee schedule for papers served and mileage.

I received a traffic ticket from a Deputy. Do I come to the Sheriff's Office to pay?

No.  If you receive a traffic ticket from a Deputy you must either appear in court on the date listed at the top of the summons or you may contact the courts by phone at the number listed.  You may also come to the courts which is located on the first floor of the Judicial Center.

If the power goes out during a storm, do I call the Sheriff's Office?

No, if your power goes out, you will need to contact your local city utilities or rural electric co-op to report the outage.  The Sheriff's Office does not have any special numbers to notify them of the outage.  We use the same numbers that you would call.

What do I need to do to get a Concealed Carry Weapons Permit (CCW)?

There are several steps that you must take in order to get a CCW:

  • Take a safety course from an approved trainer (A list of approved trainers is available upon request from the Sheriff's Office).
  • On the day of the appointment you will need to bring:

                  1.  Certificate of Training

                  2.  A valid photo ID

                  3.  $100.00 for the fee.

  • After finishing the paperwork at the Sheriff's Office, you will need to be fingerprinted at the jail.
  • In about ten days, you will receive a telephone call from the Sheriff's Office stating that your paperwork has arrived back at the Sheriff's Office
  • You will then return to the Sheriff's Office, sign your paperwork and then receive a printed CCW ID.
When I call in on the phone, how do I talk to a real person instead of listening to the recording?

If you don't know the extension to who you are calling, you can simply press "1" and it will take you to a live person who can direct your call.

When I call to report something, do I have to give my name?

No.  It is not required that you give us any personal information. However, if you wish to be recontacted you will need to do so. There may be times when you need to be recontacted to verify information and leaving your name and a phone number is appreciated but not required.

Who is approved to provide training for a CCW permit?

Attached is a current list of trainers who are approved by the Lawrence County Sheriff's Office for CCW permits.

Why do we sometimes see City officers doing things out in the county?

The Sheriff in any county has the authority to commission municipal officers with in their county.  Several municipal officers with in Lawrence County have been given a commission by the Sheriff.  This benefits everyone involved.  On occasion, the Sheriff's Office requires assistance from municipal agencies for certain details.  By having a commissioned officer, those agencies can send officers to assist our office.  It also allows those agencies to have another resource in providing services to their jurisdiction.

Why do we sometimes see County Officers doing things inside a city?

Lawrence County Deputies have arrest authority anywhere with in Lawrence County.  This includes inside any city that is with in Lawrence County.  While County Deputies cannot enforce city ordinances, they can enforce all state laws with the city.

Will the Sheriff's Office check my residence if I am out of town?

Yes.  If you know you are going to be out of town an extended amount of time you may call the Sheriff's Office and request an extra patrol of your residence.  A log will be made and officers will make an extra effort to check your residence.  If you live inside a jurisdiction that has its own police department, that information will be forwarded to the appropriate department.

     Lawrence County Sheriff's Office | © 2014
     Lawrence County, Missouri